Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Database consolidation
Database consolidation [message #292437] Tue, 08 January 2008 23:09 Go to next message
win3vin
Hi,

I'm planning to consolidate few databases into 1 single instance and upgrade to 10g. Eg. under different schema name for the databases.

Current database version: 9.2.0.8

New database version: 10g R2

Any forsee issue you guys think might happen with the consolidation?
Any idea what we need take note before the consolidation migration?
Re: Database consolidation [message #292450 is a reply to message #292437] Tue, 08 January 2008 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

As upgrade point of view from oracle 9i to 10g.

Before upgrade check all init parameter in oracle 9i and their value.
becuase in oracle 9i parameter default value is different then oracle 10g and becuase of this you will face any problem.
for instance: AUDIT_TRAIL parameter
in oracle 9i there is not default value.
but in oracle 10g NONE is default value for this parameter.
now here is bug : if audit_trail parameter set other than "NONE" or "FALSE" then you will face below bug.

https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:14:2266874889647111639::::p14_database_id,p14_docid,p14_show_header,p14_show_help, p14_black_frame,p14_font:NOT,367831.1,1,1,1,helvetica

long story in short.

before upgrade
1. check all parametar and values.
2. database statistics
3. execution plan
4. memory sga

Re: Database consolidation [message #292451 is a reply to message #292437] Tue, 08 January 2008 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati
Create a new Database with oracle features you wanted in your new database with desired tablespaces & user accounts, tune & test your new database ,if fully satisfied than just migrate only [repeat only] user objects [ no system objects or database feature specific objects] from other databases by using any of your favorite tool/method [ I recommend export/import].

A careful planning for storage / tablespaces and user accounts in your new database will indeed go a long way while ensuring good performance and minimum downtime in future so give it a good thought & plan / analyze every thing before you proceed further.

Consolidating & upgrading are two different things and former gives you a better & cleaner approach. Consider what your situation desires / warrants.

You should not see any problem provided you are consolidating only user objects [only objects pertaining to your application] from various databases into a new database.

Regards

Manjit Kumar [ mkbhati ]

[Updated on: Tue, 08 January 2008 23:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database consolidation [message #292459 is a reply to message #292451] Wed, 09 January 2008 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
win3vin
Thanks Mohammad Taj and Manjit for the feedback. Appreciate it.

I shouldn't have the concern on the migration portion from 9 to 10g. I'm a bit worry about the DB consolidation where the DB setting between these 5 databases is different. I forsee there might have performance issue?
Any idea what you guys can think of that will fail the DB consolidation plan, eg character set differences...

Thanks
Re: Database consolidation [message #292599 is a reply to message #292459] Wed, 09 January 2008 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati
So log as you are keeping same character set and platform for consolidation than no problem. If multiple databases being consolidated belongs to different character set ,platform & endians, 32/64 bit Word Sizes etc than you can expect some issues. Export/Import takes care of character set translation up to some extent.

The best thing I can suggest is that first do it on a staging or spare server & test & resolve encountered issues until satisfied. When fully satisfied than do it again on your new consolidation server. On Oracle it is very difficult to foresee issues until you face it. Every database is unique within its environment and it is very difficult to forecast any issue until you are fully familiar with current environment. You are the person who knows current environment of your databases better than any one else. Me or any one else sitting thousand miles away can not comment on your current environment. So go ahead and do it yourself on a staging server. Please do not disturb your current setup until you are fully successful on staging.

If your consolidation involves only user objects (PLSQL Code & Tables pertaining to your application only) from older database than do not expect any performance degradation of any kind provided your new instance is set up properly on a well configured OS. If you are giving a new server to your consolidation try for maximum amount of RAM you can afford.

Regards

Manjit Kumar [ mkbhati]

[Updated on: Wed, 09 January 2008 05:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database consolidation [message #292776 is a reply to message #292599] Wed, 09 January 2008 19:29 Go to previous message
win3vin
Thanks Manjit for the information. Appreciate it.
Previous Topic: import sql database to Oracle database
Next Topic: What is the Difference between Oracle Management Server Repository and the Stand Alone Mode?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 01:34:16 CDT 2024