Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id
Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213255] Wed, 10 January 2007 01:10 Go to next message
sujatha_mu
Hi

While registering in the forum i have chosen the option of not to display my mail id to all members of the forum

Even then i get lot of mails from people saying that they have got my mail address from ORAFAQ. This is not happening thru private messaging part. I do not have any idea how could they get my mail address through the forum.

For ex:- I have received a mail today from the address of nampve@yahoo.com stating that

Hi,

Hope u r doin fine. I've done a course on Orac Fin 11i . Trainer said even while doin the course - U can start Applyin. U have a good understandin!....

I did a 1 month course. Hole in my Pocket. Cost me 60k. Now plannin to fake my exp so that I qualify. todays market asks atleast 2 yrs exp. But Guess I am technically sound.

Cud u throw some light on faqs. also cud u help me with ur resume so i can use it as a model. Certainly will not xerox.

By the way my edu qual B.E (ECE) - REC,Trichy

2002 passed out - Completed in 2003.

Confused,
Cinq (Not my real name )
India

Pls advise me on how can i restrict such mails.

Regards
Sujatha
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213259 is a reply to message #213255] Wed, 10 January 2007 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Go to Control Panel (it is in the menu on the top-right of the page)
Choose Account Settings
Under the Preferences header there is an option
"Allow E-mail Messages:
Allow other users to send you e-mails via this forum."

Change this to NO
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213262 is a reply to message #213259] Wed, 10 January 2007 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Sir,

I do not have any problem to receive mails from others through the forum as i would receive it from ORAFAQ.

But i do not want concerned person to pickup my mail id from here. I wish that person should be able to send the mail to me without knowing my mail address.

Pls let me know about the same.

Thanks & Regards
Sujatha.
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213271 is a reply to message #213262] Wed, 10 January 2007 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Are you sure that they KNOW your mail-address, and not sent a mail from the OraFAQ-site?
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213279 is a reply to message #213271] Wed, 10 January 2007 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Hi,

Yes I'm sure about this. I have recieved no.of of mails from people asking about help or personal things.To be more clear - i have given my offical mail id in the ORAFAQ, as i use the one much frequently. But i haven't expected that people would pickit up from the site just like that so easily. I thought information given there was secured.

Thanks & Regards
Sujatha

Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213282 is a reply to message #213279] Wed, 10 January 2007 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I think that you didn't get what Frank said. Check the screenshot - it means that ANYONE can send you a mail by simply clicking on blue-coloured link. They do not know your e-mail address and will not know it unless you reply to their mail.

/forum/fa/1975/0/
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213286 is a reply to message #213282] Wed, 10 January 2007 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Hi

I'm very clear with what i have said and what FRANK gave me a suggestion. But pls understand my problem clearly. I receive a mail from any unknown person ( from yahoo or rediffmail or gmail or from any other source not thru ORAFAQ). When i inquire the person that how he/she has received my mail id they say it's thru ORAFAQ.

I think there is no solution to this other than changing my mail id.

Regards
Sujatha

Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213287 is a reply to message #213279] Wed, 10 January 2007 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
If you receive an email from within the OraFAQ site, there is no way you can see that it originated from the site!
My (very strong) guess is that these people DO NOT KNOW your mail-address, but they sent an email from within the site.
The fact that these mails are totally unrelated does not mean that they don't stem from this site. Even here you find spammers!
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213288 is a reply to message #213287] Wed, 10 January 2007 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Only when you replied the person to ask how he got your mail-address, you revealed your actual address to them!
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213298 is a reply to message #213288] Wed, 10 January 2007 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
me, a little bit earlier
... and will not know it unless you reply to their mail.

Smile
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213304 is a reply to message #213298] Wed, 10 January 2007 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
/forum/fa/1578/0/ Hail where hail is due...
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213305 is a reply to message #213298] Wed, 10 January 2007 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Hi

I have not given any reply mails. I inquire them only through forum or through the phone number given by them in the mail, then i came to know to the it was taken from site.

Regards
Sujatha
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213313 is a reply to message #213305] Wed, 10 January 2007 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It seems that you'll have to wait for Frank Naude to answer your question; I believe he *must* know whether something like this is possible and, if it is, how.
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213340 is a reply to message #213305] Wed, 10 January 2007 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
sujatha_mu wrote on Wed, 10 January 2007 11:31
I inquire them only through forum or through the phone number given by them in the mail, then i came to know to the it was taken from site.

And when you asked them how exactly they did this, what did they say?
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213427 is a reply to message #213340] Wed, 10 January 2007 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
You gave users permission to send you e-mails via this site. Just look at your profile:

Quote:
Allow E-mail Messages: YES!!!
Allow other users to send you e-mails via this forum.

As stated earlier, if you don't reply, these users will not know your e-mail address.
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213472 is a reply to message #213427] Wed, 10 January 2007 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Hi,

And when you asked them how exactly they did this, what did they say:-

to answer your question i haven't asked them how they did this, i had asked them from where they got it. If a user is sending a mail to me from ORAFAQ, he won't be able to see my mail id , but he can send it to me. It clearly states the source as mail from noreply@orafaq.net.

But this mails do not come thru ORAFAQ but users tell me that they pickit up from ORAFAQ.

Regards
Sujatha

Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213489 is a reply to message #213472] Thu, 11 January 2007 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Quote:
... but he can send it to me. It clearly states the source as mail from noreply@orafaq.net.

That would help a lot. Please ask him to forward you the mail (with all mail headers) and PM it to me. Note: the mail headers are the most important part.

Quote:
But this mails do not come thru ORAFAQ but users tell me that they pickit up from ORAFAQ.

Wild allegations if you ask me. If you can get some proof it would help to get to the bottom of this.
Re: Is it possible to restrict the members not to access my mail id [message #213993 is a reply to message #213472] Sat, 13 January 2007 07:19 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

HI,
as littlefoot give you screenshot. it is very clear.

Example Based On Me.

i will specify my private email id on orafaq site and if anyone who want to send me mail on my private a/c id.
then they need just click on "click here email to user". and then send to me. that time the user doesn't know about my mail id.
when i recevied mail from user and if i give reply then user know my private mail id.

let see in your case.
----------------------
But this mails do not come thru ORAFAQ
Yes it is correct.
but users tell me that they pickit up from ORAFAQ

Yes, it is also correct.
at this stage user get only source to mail you not get user mail id.
--------------------------------------------
When i inquire
Don't give reply...it is your solution.
and
choose "Frank" suggestion
Frank

Go to Control Panel (it is in the menu on the top-right of the page)
Choose Account Settings
Under the Preferences header there is an option
"Allow E-mail Messages:
Allow other users to send you e-mails via this forum."

Change this to NO

regards
Taj
Previous Topic: Url - Get's "Cut"
Next Topic: New topic issues: session has expired
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:30:20 CDT 2024