Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » New "Topic Type" request
New "Topic Type" request [message #524449] Fri, 23 September 2011 15:07 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Would it be possible to create a new topic type - here:

/forum/fa/9394/0/

Its name would be "Can not be deleted" or whatever you suggest.

Because, recently we've seen some "important" topics being deleted (such as "How to use [code] tags" and similar) - not once, but multiple times.

So I thought that such kind of topics should have some kind of a mark that would make them impossible to delete unintentionally. First you'd have to uncheck it, then delete it. Two steps can hardly be considered "oops!".

It seems that I changed my mind during the last few minutes - no "topic type" but, rather, a "checkbox". Whatever.

What do you think?
Re: New "Topic Type" request [message #524455 is a reply to message #524449] Fri, 23 September 2011 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
If these things are being deleted, then it has to be a moderator that is deleting them, doesn't it? I think it is more important to identify what moderator is doing this and why. Is this the old problem where it looks like the checkbox from one row belongs to another row and the wrong post is being deleted? Do we have a careless moderator or one that doesn't know what he is doing or an intentional saboteur or what? If it is happening repeatedly, then it needs to be investigated.
Re: New "Topic Type" request [message #524489 is a reply to message #524455] Sat, 24 September 2011 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I deleted a topic yesterday, can't remember exactly when, probably about 09:00CET. It is definitely gone, it was something about selling iPhones. That is only the second time I have ever deleted anything. So I don't think I am the culprit! I think I clicked on the topic title in "New forum posts" then clicked the "delete" button, then had the prompt about sending a message to the author. Is it possible for that routine to get the wrong topic or mulitple topics? I hesitate to test it (for obvious reasons.)
Re: New "Topic Type" request [message #524492 is a reply to message #524489] Sat, 24 September 2011 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I don't think that would result in deleting the wrong post.
Re: New "Topic Type" request [message #524508 is a reply to message #524492] Sat, 24 September 2011 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't think that someone deletes these "Sticky" or "Announcement" topics intentionally - it is, I believe, by mistake. For example, there are several spam messages in the SQL & PL/SQL forum, right on the top of all messages. A moderator marks these messages (checkboxes) and checks the "How to use [code] tags" topic as well, clicks "Delete all selected" button and there it goes.

Unfortunately, there's no recycle bin or something that would make it possible to restore these topics instantly. OK, they are restored eventually, but I thought that it would be a benefit if we could, somehow, mark such topics as "undeleteable" (there's no such word, is it?).

@John: there's nothing wrong in deleting spam messages. You can also report spammers here and they will be banned.
Re: New "Topic Type" request [message #524715 is a reply to message #524508] Mon, 26 September 2011 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Quote:
I don't think that someone deletes these "Sticky" or "Announcement" topics intentionally - it is, I believe, by mistake.

Yes! Exactly this is what happened with Michel and Frank last time.But On "How to use [code] tags" topic" topic,
It was deleted twice such actions needs to be avoid.

So IMO the check box for such sticky post should be disabled(for all Moderators,members,Account moderators too) so that no one can delete them except admin.

Sriram
Re: New "Topic Type" request [message #524719 is a reply to message #524715] Mon, 26 September 2011 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Ummmm ... no, I disagree. I don't want that nobody but admin could remove them (why would we bother Frank Naude with it?). I'd just want some kind of a safety mechanism that would prevent these topics to be deleted by mistake.

If, for example, I click ďelete button on "How to use [code] tags" topic, I'd like to see a warning "This topic is marked as undeleteable. Remove the mark first, then you'll be able to delete a topic". Now, if you really remove a mark and delete a topic, then it is not "by mistake" any more and you (probably) know what you are doing.

Besides, if we are moderators, there should be some kind of trust between us and the site admin. Otherwise, we don't deserve to be moderators in the first place.
Re: New "Topic Type" request [message #524721 is a reply to message #524719] Mon, 26 September 2011 05:35 Go to previous message
ramoradba
Hmm Good, I Agree.

Sriram
Previous Topic: Where did the code tags sticky go in pl/sql?
Next Topic: Referrals in Control Panel tab
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:37:17 CDT 2024