Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » get create table statement (Oracle 8i, Solaris 8)
get create table statement [message #321515] Tue, 20 May 2008 10:01 Go to next message
kowalsky
hi all,
given that I have dba privileges is there anywhere a table where I can get the create statement of a given table?

I could use desc table_name, and so on, nevertheless, is there a table where I can see the actual create table statement that was used when the table was created for the first time - and subsequent alter table statements,
thanks,
kowalsky
Re: get create table statement [message #321516 is a reply to message #321515] Tue, 20 May 2008 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL
Re: get create table statement [message #321551 is a reply to message #321516] Tue, 20 May 2008 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kowalsky
thanks,
and I guess for Oracle 8i there's nothing I can try except a properly interrupted exp that will give me the ddl in some file on the filesystem somewhere ... which is out of the question for me though (i can't access the file system) - so I can't even launch an exp ...
Is there an equivalent dbms package in previous versions?
thanks,
kowalsky
Re: get create table statement [message #321557 is a reply to message #321515] Tue, 20 May 2008 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is there an equivalent dbms package in previous versions?
If there was such a package, Oracle would not have created DBMS_METADATA.

The export utility does NOT have to be invoked from the database server system.
The export utility can be launched from any system where the Oracle client s/w has been installed.

If you don't have V8 installation media, you might be hard pressed to get a copy now days.

V8 has not been supported any time this century.

Good Luck!
Re: get create table statement [message #321559 is a reply to message #321557] Tue, 20 May 2008 13:40 Go to previous message
kowalsky
ok,
thanks, makes sense.
still, i'm going to try one of those GUI things that get the script without you having to move a finger (well, a few clicks at most)(TOAD, sql developer ...) works just fine on ora 8i, the only thing is I lost my toad installation and apparently it is going to be a headeache to get it again.

thanks,
kowalsky
Previous Topic: Patches for Standard Edition
Next Topic: BIN$ in Tablespace but not Recyclebin. How to Drop?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 18:07:23 CDT 2024